If a customer indicates that a light ticking or humming noise can be heard coming from the blower motor (see affected vehicles) when the motor is run at low fan speeds (speed 1 or 2), a noise-reducing blower motor is available. The noise may be very slight and, at times, difficult to hear.
1996-2001 Pathfinder (R50);
1995-’99 Maxima (A32);
2000-’01 Maxima (A33) with automatic heater/air conditioner controls.
- Run the blower motor at low fan speed (speed 1 or 2) and evaluate the noise. Decide which category the noise falls under:
- Loud rattle, clatter, jolt or flap: go to the procedure for blower case cleaning.
- Light ticking or humming noise: complete the following steps to install a new blower motor cover.
Blower Case Cleaning:
- Remove the blower motor unit from the blower case.
- Remove all foreign material from the case.
- Reinstall the blower motor unit.
Technical service bulletin courtesy of Mitchell 1.
For more information on Mitchell 1 products and services, automotive professionals can log onto the company’s website at www.mitchell1.com.