If a 1999-2000 Quest exhibits a gear whine noise between 25 mph and 70 mph under light throttle application (i.e. 1/8 to 2/8 throttle applied), use the following service procedure to resolve the incident.
1. Road-test the vehicle to confirm the incident exists.
2. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
3. Place the transmission shifter in Park, turn off the engine and apply the parking brake.
4. Install the mass damper (P/N 34998-7B000) on the A/T shift cable so that it’s positioned 10 mm above the A/T shift cable rubber boot. See Fig. 1.
5. Road-test the vehicle to confirm that the incident is resolved.
For more information, visit www.identifix.com.