A customer with an applied vehicle may complain of a rattle/clatter noise for 2-3 seconds upon cold start of the engine. If the valve lifters make a rattle/clatter noise for 2-3 seconds when the engine is started cold, replace the valve lifters.
All vehicles with a VG30E or VG33E engine built before Oct. 13, 2003.
1. To duplicate this incident, the engine usually requires an overnight “cold-soak.”
2. You should hear the noise coming from one or both valve covers.
3. A moderate amount of engine noise that may occur during starting or during the time needed for oil pressure to build (about 1 second) is considered normal, and does not require repair.
4. If the noise is duplicated, replace the valve lifters with 12 new ones (P/N 1213231-V5005).
5. Go to the EM section of the appropriate service manual for lifter replacement instructions.
Courtesy of Identifix.
For additional information, visit www.identifix.com.