Some 1998-’99 Passat 2.8L models with 01V transmissions may exhibit delayed upshifts under partial load after a cold start. A warm-up program determines this shift characteristic and is activated when the following conditions apply:
– Fresh start of engine; and
– Coolant temperature below 40 C (104 F).
Note: The warm-up program lasts for approximately 40 seconds after shifting into drive and the vehicle is moving under the above conditions.
During this period, the program holds the shift points to approximately 3,000 rpm (shifting at this rpm may be observed by the driver as harsh).
This condition is normal. No repairs are necessary, but explain the technical facts to customers inquiring about the different shift points.
By raising the shift points, the emission warm-up phase is reduced and the catalyst is heated faster for improved efficiency and better emissions performance.
To verify activation of the warm-up program, use the following procedure.
1. Connect the VAG 1551 scan tool.
2. Start the engine.
3. Ensure the coolant temperature is below 40 C (104 F).
Note: The verification process must be completed within the first 40 seconds after vehicle is driven and the water temperature is below 40 C (104 F).
4. Start the vehicle.
5. Press buttons 0 and 2 to enter the address word 02 “Transmission electronics.”
6. Press buttons 0 and 8 to select "Read measured value block" function 08.
7. Confirm the entry with the "Q" button.
8. Enter display group number 002.
9. Confirm the entry with the "Q" button.
10. Four display fields always appear in the measured value block (in physical values if necessary).
11. Apply the brake pedal.
12. Shift the vehicle into drive.
13. Drive the vehicle away while a second technician observes the value in display field 1 "Dynamic shift program index."
14. A value of 241 will be displayed in field 1.
15. After 40 seconds, or if coolant temperature exceeds 40 C (104 F), the value will change from 241 to a lower value.
Note: When placed in park, the value will return to 241.
16. The verification process is complete.
Technical service bulletin courtesy of ALLDATA.