During some driving conditions, an underinflated T125/70D15 compact spare tire, installed on one of the front wheel positions, may result in the following symptoms on a 1999-2004 Hyundai Sonata:
ABS/TCS and brake warning lights may set on the dashboard; and
The vehicle may not accelerate over certain driving speeds.
If a customer describes the above symptoms, do not replace the ABS/TCS control module or temporary spare tire without first performing the following procedure.
- Check ABS/TCS DTCs with the Hi-Scan Pro.
- Erase the DTCs using the Hi-Scan Pro.
- Check and, if necessary, inflate the temporary spare tire to 60 psi.
- Make sure the remaining three full-size tires on the vehicle are the original-equipment size. (This information is located on the tire pressure label on the driver’s side door sill.)
- Check and, if necessary, inflate the remaining full-size tires on the vehicle to the recommended tire pressures. (This information is also located on the tire pressure label on the driver’s side door sill.)
- Confirm the correct operation of the ABS/TCS when driving the vehicle with the temporary spare tire.
Technical service bulletin courtesy of Mitchell 1.
For additional information, visit www.mitchell1.com.