Technician Using Cutting Torch Ignites Fire that Destroys Several Businesses
Connect with us

From the Magazine

Close Sidebar Panel Open Sidebar Panel

From the Magazine

Technician Using Cutting Torch Ignites Fire that Destroys Several Businesses

A technician in Columbia Station, OH, was using a cutting torch when sparks hit the ground and ignited gas that had been spilled on the shop floor. The fire quickly spread and several businesses were destroyed.

Advertisement

om:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} span.datestring {mso-style-name:datestring; mso-style-unhide:no;} span.byline {mso-style-name:byline; mso-style-unhide:no;} span.titleline {mso-style-name:titleline; mso-style-unhide:no;} .msochpdefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family:”MS 明朝”; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-fareast-language:ja;} @page wordsection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.wordsection1 {page:wordsection1;} –>

Click Here to Read More
Advertisement

A technician in Columbia Station, OH, was using a cutting torch when sparks hit the ground and ignited gas that had been spilled on the shop floor. The fire quickly spread and several businesses were destroyed.

Below is the article as it appeared on the Fox 8 News website.

Fire Officials Determine Cause of Columbia Station Blaze

By Lindsay Buckingham
FOX8.com Reporter

January 15, 2012

COLUMBIA STATION, Ohio — A massive blaze that destroyed several businesses in Lorain County Saturday afternoon has been ruled accidental, the Columbia Township Fire Department confirmed Sunday.

Advertisement

Chief Ray Anthony told Fox 8 News the fire started in an auto repair shop at the rear of the complex at 27201 Royalton Road.

Ray said the problem began when a mechanic removed a gas tank from a car and unknowingly leaked fuel onto the floor. Then, as the worker used a cutting torch, sparks hit the ground and ignited the spilled gas. The employee tried using a fire extinguisher, but the effort backfired as the flames were pushed and spread.

To read the entire article on the Fox 8 News website, visit http://bit.ly/zHt1HT.

Advertisement
Click to comment
Connect
Tech Shop Magazine